Happy Thanksgiving, Y'all!
Fall is now in full swing and I'm really getting into the holiday spirit. This Thanksgiving I'm filled with so much gratitude for the love and support that my little shop has been getting. As a special thank you, I would like to share one of my favorite vegan recipes that I love to make for Thanksgiving. I guarantee even the pickiest of eaters will love this recipe. I hope you enjoy it! Have a happy and safe holiday season and safe travels to everyone.
Wendy's Vegan Potatoes au Gratin
4-6 Sliced Large Russet or Yukon Gold Potatoes
½ Cup So Delicious Cheddar Jack cheese
2-3 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
1 Diced Onion
2 Cups Almond Milk (or any unsweetened vegan milk)
1 and ½ Bouillon Cubes
2 tablespoons Vegan Butter (I use Earth Balance)
3 tablespoons Flour
1 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Prepare vegan cheese sauce by making a roux: Melt the vegan butter in a pot and slowly add flour while stirring until mixture turns into a thin paste.
- Add almond milk a little at a time, whisking to incorporate and reduce to simmer.
- Add nutritional yeast and stir.
- Add So Delicious Cheddar Jack cheese and stir until melted and blended.
- Add bouillon cubes and whisk to incorporate. (add salt and pepper to taste)
- Once the vegan sauce is fully melted and blended set aside.
- Line an 8x8 inch casserole or baking dish with parchment paper, then add some of the cheese sauce at the bottom of the pan.
- Begin layering your sliced potatoes, diced onions and cheese sauce. Add a layer of potatoes, then a layer of onions, and finally the cheese sauce. Repeat the layers until filled to the top of the baking pan with the cheese sauce being the final layer on top.
- Cover your potato mixture with aluminum foil or parchment paper (eco-friendly option) and place in the oven covered for 45 minutes at 375F.
- Remove cover and bake for additional 15-20 minutes to brown potatoes on top (For an added crunch add Panko Breadcrumbs on top and bake uncovered until golden brown.)
Yield: 4-6 servings
* Meal in blog photo includes: vegan potatoes au gratin, Gardein Turk'y Cutlets with gravy, roasted cauliflower, roasted brussels sprouts, and peas.